Monday, June 21, 2010

A Dramatic Changeover

Capture and release, dancing and music plus the launch of the 2011 Conference all featured in the May 30 Changeover for District 9940, possibly the first in the world for the 2010/2011 year.
As soon as I had finished giving my speech in which I outlined my vision and goals for my year, a pair of whistle blowing Chicago city police from the 1920s came racing down the aisles of the packed auditorium to apprehend me as they identified me as the leader of a Chicago “gang”.  The real life chase and arrest sequence was mirrored on two huge screens behind the stage by the screening of black and white film footage showing the arrest of the infamous Al Capone.

It wasn’t long before the mood changed to celebration as Jenny and I were released and joined in the Charleston dancing on stage.
The screened images changed to exuberant scenes of belles of the day demonstrating the many dance steps we associate with this period.

No comments:

Post a Comment